Wednesday, February 22, 2012

DQS12 - in progress!


I've been making some progress on my Doll Quilt Swap quilt. I've got some lofty goals for this one, and I hope my partner likes it! Here are my initial sketches:


Starting with a small NY beauty block in the center, I'll then start adding borders. Finally ending with a larger circle of flying geese. I think I'd like this quilt to end round, but we'll see what the quilt tells me while I'm working on it!

So far the center is a 7" NY Beauty. It could have been a bit smaller if you ask me, but I didn't want to fiddle with trying to reduce the pattern any more than by 75% If you're wondering, I printed the pattern from this site. I used the first block on the page, and printed 4 pages per sheet (thus reducing it to 1/4th of the original size). I used freezer paper ironed to the wrong side of the small middle sections to control them while sewing the arcs together. I didn't do it perfectly ... there are a couple tiny puckers... but I think it'll come out in the quilting. 


Here are the hexies I made in preparation for the later rounds of the quilt... there are quite a few of them. I hope my partner likes bright fun colors with a splash of grey!


I am excited to work on this more tonight!

3 comments:

  1. that's so lovely! And having just finished a New York beauty block I can completely relate to the difficulty of the teeny curves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to ask this question, but in the top left block of the new york beauty, is the pink and blue fabrics going the correct way? In the other 3 blocks the pink point-y is on the outside of the curve. I do lover the colors of it, as well as the hexies.
    Vicki C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking fab, unfortunately the link doesn't work

    ReplyDelete