Thursday, May 20, 2010

Introduction to the why and how of my quilting.

I read craft blogs.

Ok, now that I've said that it's not hard to realise that I read a lot of craft blogs. I know that my blog pales in comparison to a lot of others, but I strive to make things that I need, things that will get used, and things that make me happy. I don't churn out quilts really quickly (even though I'd love to) because I know that I don't have the means to support that habit. I don't, will I ever? Probably not. So I try to make the best of what I have.

Point number one in quilting (for me): I am insanely cheap. Not cheap like most people are who claim to be cheap. I hate to spend money on things that aren't absolutely necessary. Fabric is the one thing that I'll splurge on, and even then, I hate paying designer prices. $10 a yard!? Yeah right, that will take me a month to decide I really want it, even then I'll buy a half a yard of two prints and call it a day (and probably feel bad for spending that money later too). Insane? Yes. My dear husband encourages me to buy fabric. He knows I'll use it and that it's my one hobby.

That being said, I have trouble with starting projects (not finishing them). I love to look at other people's quilts on flickr and on blogs that I folow. However, I don't really like the idea of strait up copying their ideas, and I don't like using a pattern. It takes me days and even weeks to try to formulate what sort of quilt to make, and even then I change my mind halfway through often.

These are the reasons I have a hard time starting a quilt:
1. I am cheap therefor have verry little fabric in my stash
2. Because of the way I buy fabric (a little at a time) I don't always have enough fabric, or enough coordinating fabric for the project.
3. If I'm going to spend the time and energy to make a quilt, I want it to quality fabric, yet I am not willing to pay the price of said fabric. I'm not as inspired to use the fabric I can get cheaply because I'm not as enthusiastic about the color/softness of it.
4. When I do break down and buy designer fabric I've spent so much money on it that I am afraid to ruin it or mess up a quilt I make with it.
5. I have goals and plans to make cool, unique quilts, but when it comes down to it, I tend to play it safe rather than take risks (see #4). I don't want to settle for a simpler quilt, but I also don't want to ruin my good fabric.

3 comments:

  1. I feel you with the designer prices!!! I usually wander around the quilt stores and touch all the fabrics that I love...and then end up only buying some fat quarters of my fabrics. That way I'm not buying a yard of the expensive stuff. I don't have a huge fabric stash either, but I figure if I slowly slowly buy a couple pieces at a time, I'll have a nice fabric stash eventually! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be happy to pay $10 a metre, we're up to almost $20 here. The consolation is that over time I've accumulated a large stash when it was cheaper. But cutting up the really lovely stuff is always an issue. What cured me of saving it was using the less than stellar stuff while the stars only shone in a closed cupboard and awaited the day my kids would garage sale it or send it to the thrift store. So now I use it and enjoy it! But it is true, you do get what you pay for and I'm not organized enough to buy it when I need it so I lode my fabric pallet up when I can. I do buy smarter as I have figured what works for me. No more of those flashy flirty, fashion trends. I finally figured out I don't like flowers! I stick to basics, blenders, and cooperators as they never go out of style and pretty much always get used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand your sentiments. I am pretty new to quilting, though not necessarily to sewing. I tend to go one of two ways...nothing in mind, but find some fabric I love (and only buy a small bit of it) and then the other end...purchasing a pattern and fabric to make the pattern. I do about choke whenever I go to the quilt shop. In the last year, they took my local JoAnn's away I'm still rather irritated by the whole deal, so I have decided that I would much rather spend my money locally and get a much nicer product. Oh, plus I don't have much storage space so I can't build too big of a stash, anyway (unless I get rid of all of my other hobby products.

    ReplyDelete